Monday, August 29, 2011

Chicago blues musician David "Honeyboy" Edwards leaves behind legacy of music


By ERIC SCHELKOPF

The last living link to Robert Johnson, Chicago blues musician David "Honeyboy" Edwards, has died of congestive heart failure at the age of 96.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Edwards a few years back prior to his appearance at the Blues on the Fox festival in downtown Aurora. Even as he was approaching his 92nd birthday, Edwards said he had no plans to slow down.

"As long as I feel good, I'll play the guitar," he told me.


Edwards also didn't ask for much in return. He titled his autobiography, "The World Don't Owe Me Nothing."

"That's what I felt," Edwards told me. "I had everything I wanted, just about. I had money and a car. There are some people who can't get enough. But you don't need all that." 

We do need Edwards' music, though. And thankfully, we will always have that.

Related articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment