Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sevendust to bring heavy sound to UPROAR festival in Tinley Park


By ERIC SCHELKOPF

As Sevendust proved on its last album, 2010's "Cold Day Memory," the band has not lost any of its hard- driving energy since first forming in 1994.

That energy will be on full display when Sevendust performs Sept. 18 as part of the Rockstar Energy Drink UPROAR Festival, www.rockstaruproar.com, at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park.

Avenged Sevenfold, Three Days Grace, Seether and Bullet For My Valentine are among the other bands on the bill. Tickets are available at www.livenation.com.
 
I had the chance to talk to longtime guitarist Clint Lowery about his latest activities and his decision to return to Sevendust in 2008.


Q - How has the tour been going?

The tour's good. The crowds are good, and we've experienced a lot of new fans, believe it or not, after being out for 15 years. It's been good so far.

Q - I'm sure you've come across bands that kind of look up to you guys and almost have modeled themselves after you guys. Is that a great compliment?

Yeah, that's always a good thing to hear. It's kind of like the cycle of music. We've got a lot of people that we've looked up to and idolized.

So I know the feeling, about being a new band, and you can't believe you are out with these guys that you grew up listening to. It's very flattering, it's very cool, and it's very humbling at the same time.


Q - What should people expect when they go to the show? Are you guys going to be doing a retrospective of the band's career?

We only have 30 minutes. We play a few songs off the new record, and two older ones, and that's pretty much it.

There's not much we can do. It's 30 minutes, so we just get out there and bang it out. It's the same Sevendust energy as we've always had.

Q - People are hearing a lot from you these days. You just released your "Uncomfortable Silence" EP as part of your "Hello Demons Meet Skeletons." Why did you feel it was important to get those songs out now?
 
To me, it's just another creative outlet that has nothing to do with Sevendust. It's very easy for me to do it. I don't have to go through a label, I don't have to go through a management company.

I really enjoy the connection with the small group of people that are into it. It's just a small group of fans that can understand some of the stuff I'm talking about with recovery and trying to improve yourself.

It's just about observing the world around you and looking at yourself.

Q - Is it kind of therapeutic for you, to talk about your recovery through these songs?

It's very therapeutic. The more I express it, the more power I take away, which is kind of where the name comes from, "Hello Demons Meet Skeletons." It feel good to have that me behind me.

Q - Have you heard from fans who might be going through similar problems?

Absolutely. People come forward with their stories too. That's what it is about, helping each other. The more people I talk to about it, the better I feel, the more strength I get.

Q - You rejoined Sevendust in 2008. What made you want to rejoin the band?

It was based on friendship first, reconnecting with Morgan and just talking to the rest of the guys first and seeing how everyone was doing after a few years away from each other.

It's a family out here. We wanted to get the family back together.

Q - You had left Sevendust in 2004 to play with your brother, Corey Lowery, in Dark New Day. When you left the band, did you feel it was the right time to do the project?

My heart was in the right place. I just wanted to create some music with my older brother, and get away from everything going on at the time.

I thought it was the right decision at the time, but I could have done it a little differently. But I can't change that now.

Q - Do you think there will ever be a time to get Dark New Day started again?

I don't know. I can't answer that. There's some B-side stuff that we are going to release because we worked so hard on it, but as far as getting back together, that probably won't happen.

Q - But you did work with Corey on your new EP. Was that cool to be collaborating with him again?

Yeah. He's my brother. I will always be in some type of working situation with him. 

He helped out on the last Sevendust record, and he will probably end up producing this next one too.

Q - You've probably heard Sevendust's music labeled in many different ways over the years, including being called thrash metal or hard rock. How would you describe the band?

We're a hard rock, metal band. It depends on how you label it. Whatever makes you comfortable. 


Q - It seems like you try not to sacrifice melody in your songs.

I'm just all about the melody. It's a cool contrast with heavy music to having that melody sitting on top of it.

Q - It seems like there is always a place for hard rock. Why do you think that is?

It's about immersion with that music. There's a certain aggression or spirit to that music. I think it is always going to be relevant, as long as people put a new spin on it.

I like the evolution of music. I don't want it to stay the same. I want people to change it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment