Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blues and roots musician Sandi Thom to perform at Rosa's Lounge in Chicago


By ERIC SCHELKOPF

Scottish blues and roots musician Sandi Thom took the music world by storm in 2006 with her hit song, "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)."

Thom, www.sandithom.com, is currently working on her sixth album with well-known producer Val Garay, who has worked with a diverse group of musicians, including Dolly Parton and Bonnie Raitt. Fans of Thom will get the chance to hear her music on Sept. 9 in the intimate setting of Rosa's Lounge, 3420 W. Armitage Ave., Chicago.

The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $40, available at www.rosaslounge.com.

I had the chance to talk to Thom about her current activities.
“I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair)”. - See more at: http://rockpopradio.com/interview/sandi-thom-interview/#sthash.ojooNL6e.dpuf
“I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair)”. - See more at: http://rockpopradio.com/interview/sandi-thom-interview/#sthash.ojooNL6e.dpuf


Q - Great to talk to you. Happy belated birthday. Sorry to hear about the accident that injured your foot. But on the plus side, I understand you have been writing more. Any chance you might preview the new songs at Rosa's Lounge?

I just recorded a new single called "Look Up" I think it's really going to be my next big hit! I may preview it at Rosa's!

Q - You are working on your sixth album. How is that process going and what should people expect from the new album? How do you think your music has evolved over the years?

I had to put in a lot of time and effort since the success of the first single to really prove to the critics and the public that I am in fact a real hard working musician and not a "one hit wonder" and so I think that steered my music in a different direction over the years.



It was important to me to make music that was true to me and not just for the sake of commercial success. I think now that I have the critics and the public's vote, I feel my music will start to steer back in the direction of it's original more commercial sounding roots.

Great songs, lyrics, all about vocals and rhythm. This new song that I've recorded really encompasses all that and includes hints of also all the lessons I've learned from the blues and from rock over the years.

Q - Val Garay, who has worked with everyone from The Motels to Bonnie Raitt to Dolly Patron, is producing your new album. What made you pick him to produce the album? What do you think he brings to the table?

We just came across one another rather on the off chance. It wasn't planned in any way.

But that was also how I met rich Robinson. I feel like Val  reads of the same hymn sheet as me, likes to be exploratory and create new sounds.

I think we are going to make a fantastic record together!

Q - Last year, you released an album called "The Covers Collection." How did you go about choosing what songs you wanted to cover? Are there any songs on the album you are most proud of?

Honestly, sometimes when you cover other people's songs or at least attempt to, some songs just suit you and others just don't. I picked the songs I felt I could do justice.



I stripped them back as to not be pretentious in any way, but to just sing the song and tell the story with the voice. These songs all have a special meaning to me also and have played a part in my life growing up as a lover of music.

Q - The Internet helped you to achieve mainstream success. What do you think about the Internet today? Is it helping musicians more than it is hurting them?
 

It's neither. It's just different: and it's important to figure that out and get with the programme. There will always be money to be made in the music industry, but you have to stay ahead of the game and get smart.



Fundamentally, there are two things I believe will never change: You can never deny a great song and you can never replace a live concert experience.

Q - You wrote an article earlier this year on how to make it as a female rock star. What are the challenges that females still face in the music business?

There is most definitely still chauvinism in the industry. It's still very much a man's world, whether you play guitar or run the label.

So as a woman you have to be very smart and very self-assured.

Q - You had been the longtime girlfriend of Joe Bonamassa, no stranger to the blues music world. How do you think you have influenced each other's music?

We are very much a couple at home, just being two people sharing our lives. It's more about the grounding we provide one another through the good and tough times that is of value rather than how we influence one another musically.

We're both far too stubborn for that! Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment