Thursday, October 8, 2015

"Babysitter Massacre '78: The Musical" scaring up fun at The Public House Theatre


By ERIC SCHELKOPF

Following last year's hit,  "A Nightmare On Backstreet," Ricky Glore hopes to scare up more fun with his latest show, "Babysitter Massacre '78: The Musical."

"Babysitter Massacre '78: The Musical" is being presented through Oct. 31 at The Public House Theatre, 3914 N. Clark St., Chicago. Tickets are $20, available by calling 1-800-650-6449,
or at the theatre's website, www.pubhousetheatre.com.


I had the chance to talk to Glore about his new show.



Q - Great talking to you again. I know that "Babysitter Massacre '78: The Musical" opened recently. What was your idea for the show and has the show come together as you envisioned?­

The show came out of my love for horror films and musicals. I find that the juxtaposition between the two, is a really fun place to start. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I thoroughly love the musical, "Litttle Shop of Horrors," and am always inspired to make something as interesting and as fun as that.


This musical is inspired by '70s horror films like "When a Stranger Calls," "Black Christmas" and "Halloween." It is even more directly influenced and uses the urban legend, "The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs."

I wanted this show to embody some of the inherent low budget campiness that is always apparent in '70s and '80s horror films, while also paying homage to some of the creepy suspenseful elements. We have successfully made sure that this isn’t a parody of those classic films, but an homage.

Q - You raised more money than your fundraising goal in order to put on the show. Did you feel even more inspired to put on the show after exceeding your fundraising goal?

­I couldn’t be happier at the love and support that this show has been given. A lot of the people who donated, are family and friends, and they gave money because they have been happy with our previous track record of shows, and want to help continue our dreams.

The campaign ended pretty close to the opening of the show, so we had already spent most of our budget from our own pockets, and the INDIEGOGO money, successfully helped us reimburse a lot of expenses. My number one priority as a writer and a director, whether it’s my material or not, is to entertain the audience.

I feel that concept is often lost. The audience, whether they are paying for a ticket, or just paying with their time spent, are already giving you something, before you give them anything.

We as creators are in debt to them, to try and make sure they have a good experience. This doesn’t always mean that the audience will like what they see, but the product you give them, should be worked on as hard as possible, with as much enthusiasm as possible.

Q - Last year, The Public House presented your show "A Nightmare On Backstreet,"
which has taken on a life of its own as Millikin University's Pipe Dreams Studio will be soon putting it on. How did the students hear about the show and what do you think about them wanting to put it on? Have you been working with them on the production?­

It is so cool to say that his show first came to life a year ago, and now a year later, is being done by people that I don’t know at all! I don’t fully know how they found out about the show. All I know is that we were in production for a show in February ("Bates: An '80s Psycho Musical Parody"), and during a rehearsal break, I checked my email, and saw I had a message from a student at Millikin. 


She said that she had heard about the show, and wondered if I would be interested in Pipe Dream’s Studio taking a look at it, and possibly do it as their fall musical. I of course said yes, and happily sent materials like script, music and a DVD of our recording.

I think it is really awesome that they want to do the show. There’s no better feeling than having others get excited about something you created.

I unfortunately have not been able to be too much help with them on the show, since I have been in pre-production and now production of "Babysitter." I made sure to tell them that if they needed me at any time,to call or email me, and I would make sure to be of an assistance, in any way I could.

They open Thursday, Oct. 22, and run till Sunday, Nov. 15. I will be attending and doing a Q and A after the show on Saturday, Nov. 7.

Q - What new shows are you working on? Do you have any dream projects or collaborations? ­

About two months ago, artistic director, owner and one of our executive producers, Byron Hatfield, asked if I would like to write and direct a Christmas show for December. Because I’m crazy and didn’t realize that my schedule was already hectic, I happily accepted.

I had no idea what I was going to do, but luckily, the next day, while in the shower, I thought of the title, "Maul Santa: The Musical." After I had the title, I slowly started to put together the story.

The real Santa, Mrs. Claus, and two of Santa’s helpers, go to as many malls as they can before Christmas. They do this to reinvigorate the spirit of the holidays in children. At this particular mall, unbeknownst to Santa and the gang, a zombie outbreak occurs.

For this show, I have just molded the story and wrote the script, while the very talented, J. Sebastian Fabal, has written the lyrics and music.We run the first three Fridays and Saturdays at 10 p.m., at The Public House Theatre.

Besides a couple of shows that I already have in the works (Maul Santa: The Musical and Fleetwood Macbeth, coming April 2016), I would really like to do a bigger scale monster horror musical, and then also do an inspirational children’s musical, that could possibly tour around schools.

Q - In writing a show, how are you inspired?

­I’m not saying this to gain points, but I am mostly inspired by my wife­-to-­be, and co-director of "Babysitter," Ali Delianides. She has so much faith in me, and believes in everything I do.

I believe I strive to create and produce shows, because it makes her laugh, she is entertained, and I love showing off and being like, “Hey, look what I can do!” Family and friends, who support and believe in me, also come as a huge inspiration.

The other executive producer on "Babysitter," is my brother, Eric Edwards, and regardless if he thinks my shows are funny or his cup of tea, he always believes in me and my vision. As I previously said, I am also inspired by the audience, and the things I’ve grown up loving.

Being passionate about things here and there, really inspire me to be imaginative and to create.

Q - What advice would you give to someone looking to get into the entertainment business?­

Do what you love and surround yourself with people that give off good energy. I am guilty of often being too cynical, so I try to remember that my personal energy could easily rub off and influence someone else.

If we all work to create a supportive and positive environment, we as individuals, should always feel compelled to explore and express themselves in ways that show off their passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment