Sunday, July 8, 2012

Voice actor Greg Ayres shares stories at Anime Midwest convention



By ERIC SCHELKOPF

To say that Greg Ayres is the voice of anime is not an understatement.

It would take too long to list all of the projects he's lent his voice to. Those at Sunday's Anime Midwest convention in Lisle got to ask Ayres questions about what it's like being a voice actor and DJ, and how he juggles both.

On doing the show "Deadman Wonderland": "We didn't think there was any chance of that ever being on TV. It was the bloodiest thing out right now. Violence is never really frowned on in this country, but bad language is."


On being a DJ: "I've been playing music since I was a little kid. I love playing music and dancing. It's a real physical way of letting go of a lot of stress I have.

I like being a DJ and playing for large groups of people. I like knowing I helped a lot of people have fun. Just talking about what I do all day feels kind of weird for me. I like being in the middle of the fun.



I like playing for anime kids way better than the club kids. The club kids are too busy trying to look cool.

At a lot of conventions, I've used the opportunity to promote some people that I find very talented, but because of where they may live, they don't get the exposure I would.

I feel lucky to give other people the opportunities I've been given."


Anime director Shinichi "Nabeshin" Watanabe provided many laughs, mostly at Ayres' expense. When Ayres didn't show up on time for his joint appearance with Watanabe, he took matters in his owns hands and conducted his own interview with a chalk picture of Ayres that he had drawn.
 
Members of the audience also had the opportunity to "play" Ayres as Watanabe interviewed them. 

Watanabe thanked those who came to the convention for making him feel welcome.

"I really had a good time," he told the crowd. "I absorbed all your energy, and now I can go back to Japan refreshed."

No comments:

Post a Comment