Monday, October 25, 2010

Christopher Lloyd looks back at career during "Star Trek" convention in Rosemont



By ERIC SCHELKOPF

Out of all of the films actor Christopher Lloyd has done, he considers his first film as one of his favorites - 1975's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest."

"Jack Nicholson is still an idol to me," Lloyd told the crowd gathered Sunday at the Westin O'Hare in Rosemont for this weekend's Official Star Trek Convention. "He just has a daring and crazed approach to what he does."

Lloyd, of course, has done his fair share of adventure and science-fiction films, including playing Klingon Commanger Kruge in "Star Trek III: The Search For Spock,"and Doc Brown in the "Back to the Future" movies.

The convention offered a bevy of "Star Trek" stars. Leonard Nimoy, unfortunately, had to bow out of his scheduled appearance on Friday because of minor benign abdonimal surgery.

He is reported to be recovering well.

But those attending the convention did get to pepper Lloyd with questions. And Chase Masterson, who played Leeta in the "Deep Space Nine" TV series, serenaded the crowd with her singing.

Read more about what Lloyd had to say, along with my interview with Masterson and a convention-goer.



Lloyd reflecting on working with Andy Kaufman on the show "Taxi":

"A lot of people ask me if he was a flake. He wasn't a flake. He was very intelligent. He knew what he wanted to do."

On playing Kruge in "Star Trek III":

"I loved playing Kruge. I never clearly understood why I was cast in the movie. It was such a raw character. I loved wearing all the makeup."

On preparing for roles:

"I start thinking about what I want to bring to it. I like putting all the dots together."

On his role in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit":

"It was just something so incredibly enjoyable. It is an evil character that is so bad. It's fun."

On his favorite actor:

"I grew up under the spell of Marlon Brando. He was the epitome of a great actor."

On the future of "Back to the Future":

"There is a new video game coming out. The story line picks up where "Back to the Future III" ended. It looks great."

On future projects:

"I'm sure I will be doing more family films. It is inevitable. But I would like to do a real gory horror film."

On riding Universal's Studios' "Back to the Future" ride:

"I rode it about four or five consecutive times and I almost lost my cookies."

On Michael J. Fox replacing Eric Stoltz in the role of Marty McFly:

"It was very strange. We had been filming with Eric Stoltz for six weeks. Stoltz was very good, but you needed an actor that had a comic flare. The chemistry between Michael and I was automatic. It worked out."

On the "Back to the Future" trilogy:

"I kind of feel "Back to the Future III" was a good time to stop. It might have been risky trying to stretch it to another film."




Interview with Chase Masterson

Q - How many conventions do you do a year?

It varies. I like doing them because we get to publicize our new projects and raise a lot of money for charity. It's nice to meet the fans, who really make the show possible.

Q - Do you like showing off your singing talent? Are people surprised that you can also sing?

They usually are somewhat surprised. People are happily surprised.

Q - What did you like about your role on "Deep Space Nine?"

Leeta was a fun role. I liked her conviction that what's important about a person is what is on the inside. She made a lot of great stands as a person.

I wish they would have given more depth to the character, but I was able to find a fair amount, I think. It was a lot of fun.

Q - It seems like you are concentrating a lot on your singing these days.

There's a lot going on with my music, and that's good. Music is something that is possible to be more creative in generally than film and television as an artist, because you don't have to get anyone else's approval.

Q -Do you prefer doing one or the other, or do you like both in your life?

I like both. I started singing when I was five years old. I could see doing both for the rest of my life.

She will be part of the Star Trek Cruise from Dec. 5 to Dec. 12. More information is at www.startrekcruise.com.



Interview with convention-goer John Lang, 47, of McHenry, who came to the convention dressed in a captain's uniform.

Q - Do you consid yourself a Trekkie or a Trekker?

A little of both. I don't dress like this every day. I do have a life outside "Star Trek." I like other stuff besides "Star Trek."

Q - What kind of uniform is this?

This is from the original series. It's the captain's uniform, the one that Captain Kirk wore.

Q - What do you like about "Star Trek?"

The message. It's about people getting together from all types of races and religions. They come together for one single purpose, putting all their differences aside, and doing a mission.








Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment