Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lucy Wainwright Roche coming to Evanston's SPACE


By ERIC SCHELKOPF
 
Lucy Wainwright Roche continues to carve out her own name in the music world.

Roche, of course, is the daughter of influential musicians Loudon Wainwright III and Suzzy Roche, and the half-sister of musicians Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright.

But she is proving herself on her own merits, picking up critical acclaim along the way. Roche, who will soon release a new album, "There's A Last Time For Everything," will perform with Lindsay Fuller on Nov. 7 at SPACE, 1245 Chicago Ave., Evanston.

Kaia Wilson also is on the bill. The show starts at 7 p.m., and tickets range in price from $12 to $22, available at www.evanstonspace.com.

I had the chance to talk to Roche about her latest activities.


Q - In sitting down to make "There's A Last Time For Everything," what were your goals? Did you want to build on your last album, "Lucy?"

The making of "There's A Last Time For Everything" was very different than making "Lucy" mostly because when I made "Lucy," I had a lot of time to work on it - we recorded and edited over a few months in NYC and we mulled over every decision for a long time.

Making this latest album, we had about eight days to track all of the songs and overdubs and to make all of the production choices.

This was a totally different mode of working, very fast, very much about gut feelings and going with what felt right in the moment.  It was a very different way to work - both exhilarating and stressful!

Q - You chose to teach for several years before becoming a musician full-time. Why did you choose that path? Do you think you would ever go back to teaching?

I loved working with kids from a very early age and it was always a field I could see myself going into. I loved teaching and would definitely be open to going back into the classroom.

I think it's an incredibly creative job  - and in some ways, not that different from performing. Both jobs are very much about communication, I think.



Q - Of course, you come from a musical family. Do you think it was inevitable that you became a musician? What did your mother and father think of the decision? What musical advice did they give you?

Growing up, I really wasn't that interested in going into music. I was shy and not driven to perform at all.

I always loved music - I was always a huge music fan - but I wasn't driven to create songs myself or get up in front of crowds of people.

I think it wasn't until later, as I got older and went in my own direction, that I realized that I missed the music world and began to be drawn back into the family business.

My parents were supportive, but I think they also both know how hard the music business is and so they worry about that.

Q - Do you ever feel the pressure of coming from such a musical family? Do you feel like people try to compare you too much to your father or mother, or your siblings?

Having the family that I do is a mixed blessing. It's mostly a good thing!

Every once in a while there will be some kind of comparison or lumping together that gets to me, but for the most part, it's been a great thing for my work and career.

Q - You've opened for your father and toured with your brother. Is there a musical kinship being on stage with them? Do you value those opportunities?

Yes, it's really the perfect way to travel with family!  You have a common goal, you get to see lots of different parts of the world and you are getting paid!

It's also a wonderful thing for us to work together because we are all on tour so often that it's a good way to get to see each other.

Q - You've been compared to Joni Mitchell and Patty Griffin. Do you consider them influences in your music?

I love them both.  I'm huge, huge fans of them both.  I hope at least a little bit of what each of them does so well has seeped into my work somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment