Saturday, October 6, 2018

Chicago musician Brandon James lifting up music scene, will perform at Reggies Music Joint in Chicago


By ERIC SCHELKOPF

Chicago soul singer Brandon James' latest single, "There She Goes," is filled with so much joy that it will leave you smiling long after song's last verse.

On Oct. 14, James will continue his 'Soulful Sundays' residence at Reggies Music Joint, 2105 S. State St., Chicago. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are available at ticketfly.com.

I had the chance to talk to James about his music and how he fits into the Chicago music scene.

Q – Congratulations on the release of your new single, "There She Goes." It seems like there should be a story behind the song. What was your inspiration for writing the song?

I wanted to write something positive and bright that would be super relevant to current events but inspires optimism as the same time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLErCJttXjk

Q – You have been called a modern day Luther Vandross. What do you think of the comparison? Do you count him among your musical influences? 

YES!! He’s an idol of mine and honestly that compliment flatters me and makes me nervous at the same time.

It’s always hard to be compared to the greats! 

Q – Who are your biggest musical influences and what kind of impact have they had on your music?

Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson, just to name a few. The one thing they have in common is their ability to not only write a song but to tell a story. 

https://soundcloud.com/branddo20 

Q – I understand that you first became interested in music in elementary school as an outlet for depression. How has music changed your life and what would you like your music to do for other people?


I really struggled to find something that belonged to me or made me feel special when I was younger and music came along and really not only brightened my outlook but took me to another place; a place that made me feel loved and secure. I would love to be able to touch people in that same way. 

That would be the ultimate satisfaction for me! 

Q – After earning a degree in music performance and music business in 2009, you had the chance to perform with the band Earth, Wind & Fire. What was that experience like and what did you learn from that experience?

It was definitely a surreal experience and one I will likely not forget. It definitely taught me to adjust to the unexpected as we did not know they would be performing and it also taught me that it’s not just being successful; I want to leave a legacy like these amazing men have done.

Q – What do you think of the Chicago music scene and how do you think you fit into it?

I think Chicago has a very rich, underrated and amazing music scene. I think I fit into it by default because I am from Chicago and I represent its flavor and sound.



I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Q – You have a residency at Reggie's Music Joint called "Soulful Sundays." What do you like about the residency?

Soulful Sundays at Reggie’s just fills me up! It’s an amazing room and we have had some truly talented people out that have made the event so so special.

I’m so happy to see something that I envisioned come to light.  

Q – What are your short term and long term goals?

My short term goal is to be successful and move hearts and the long term goal is to do the same but on a larger scale!

No comments:

Post a Comment