Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Glenbard West grad provides fresh take on vampire genre in new novel

 

By ERIC SCHELKOPF

 

In “Vampyre: The Past Never Dies,” Warrenville resident David Nordmeyer aims to provide a fresh take on the vampire genre.

I had the chance to talk to Nordmeyer, a 1982 Glenbard West High School grad (and my classmate), about the novel, which is his first published book. “Vampyre: The Past Never Dies” is available at amazon.com.

Reach out to him through his Facebook page, facebook.com/Authordreamer.

Q – I know that you have written stories in the past, but this is your first published story. What made you want to publish this story?

It’s something that I always wanted to do. I’ve always liked the horror genre. I wanted this particular story to be published because it was something new and original and I felt I could put a fresh spin on the vampire genre.

As I wrote the book, I kind of pictured in my head a movie. If I was making a movie, what would I want to see? How would I want it to unfold?

Q – What is the story about?

Well, it’s basically a story of this Chicago homicide detective. She’s kind of cynical and world-weary.

She’s forced to confront something that she didn’t think was real and that she didn’t think was possible.

It changes her whole perspective of the world.

Q – So is the book about people having to confront something that they never confronted before and then realize they can actually handle it? Is that one of the themes in the book?

It’s partly that. It’s about people encountering something new and different.

There’s also themes in there about family. The character has some family issues and that provides motivation for her, without giving too much of the story away.

Q – As far as your influences, who or what are some of your influences? Are you influenced by any authors in particular?

A little bit. Stephen King is definitely somebody I admire.

I always like how he brings horror and these terrifying things into the real world. It makes them scarier because he sets them in a real location.

I think that’s something worthy of emulating. He brings terror into everyday situations.

Q – Of course, many of his novels were made into movies. Could you imagine your novel being made into a movie?

Yeah, it’s just a fantasy, but again, I just kind of wrote it and paced it like it was a movie. When I’m writing, I kind of think of it as a movie.

I like it because I’m in control of everything. A writer can pretty much visualize anything.

I tried to picture it like if I was producing a movie with an unlimited budget.

Q – How long have you written stories?

Probably for most of my life. This is the first time that I’ve had the chance to publish one of my stories.

Self-publishing gives people a chance to get their stuff out there. Another nice thing is that the author has control of the process from beginning to end.

Q – Can you remember the first story you wrote?

I think it was a science fiction adventure story about a character who is traveling through different solar systems.

Q – Why do you like writing?

It’s therapeutic. It’s a good way for me to work some stuff out sometimes.

And I enjoy sharing my stories with people. I get a lot of satisfaction from that and people seem to enjoy reading them.

It’s a good way to share my thoughts and my vision of the world.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment